RWS 305W Select Readings
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Writing Center, "Effective E-mail Communication"
- The Best Email Greetings and Sign-Offs (InsideTech)
- 57 Ways to Sign Off on an E-mail (Forbes)
- Johns, Ann. "Discourse Communities and Communities of Practice: Membership, Conflict, and Diversity." Text, Role, and Context: Developing Academic Literacies. Cambridge, New York: Cambridge UP, 1997. 51-70. Print.
- Friedman, Thomas L. "Ready, Aim, Fire. Not Fire, Ready, Aim." The New York Times. The Opinion Pages, 9/2/2014. Online.
- Wallace, B. Alan. "Mental Balance and Well-Being: Building Bridges Between Buddhism and Western Psychology." American Psychologist. October 2006.
- Sample #1, written by a student in a graduate level RWS course. Assignment differs slightly from our task because she analyzes the rhetorical presentation of two entire journals, rather than a single article; however, her structure and tone are consistent with our assignment.
- Sample #2, written by your fearless leader. Note that it is by no means perfect, as I wanted to create a draft that is readable and indicative of the structure of your paper. Note that my organization is not the only way to present your ideas, so if you organize your paragraphs in a different manner, it may be just fine.
- Assignment #2 Reflection Questions (PowerPoint)
- Letter of Recommendation Examples
- Types of Resumes and Samples
- Even More Types of Resumes
- Sample Resumes: Engineering 1 / 2 / 3 ; Professor Centanni Sample C.V.
- Professor Centanni Sample Cover Letter
- MLA Purdue Owl - Cover Letter Online Guide
- Cover Letter Formatting Guide (with interactive slides)
- "How to Write a Great Statement of Purpose" by Vince Gotera, University of Northern Iowa
- DeBrabander, Firmin. "The Freedom of an Armed Society." The New York Times. The Opinion Pages, 12/16/2012. Online.
- Domenech, Ben. "Law and Order in the Fallen World." RealClearPolitics. 12/18/2012. Online.
- Camosy, Charles C. "5 Tips for Creating Civil Discourse in an Era of Polarization." The Seattle Times. Opinion/Editorial, 7/19/2012. Online.
- Castro Ruz, Fidel. "Duty Calls." Digital Granma Internacional. Havana, Cuba: October 19, 2014. Online.
- How to Write an Op Ed (PowerPoint)
- Millet, Lydia. "Native Lives Matter, Too." The New York Times. The Opinion Pages, 10/13/2015. Web.